Lead Game Designer - The Cycle (f/m/d)
Our team is looking for a talented Lead Game Designer to join us in our office in Berlin, Germany. In this role, you will be responsible for managing and building a talented and highly motivated team of game designers and support them in their career growth in the company. You’ll be part of the leadership team, working with other leads to tackle high-level issues and ensure YAGER is a successful, great place to work.
The project you’ll be working on is The Cycle – a tense, high-stakes multiplayer FPS where players play as prospectors on a hostile alien planet, fighting wildlife and each other over the vast riches the world has to offer.
We believe the best games are made by diverse teams and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a high-output game design department
- Represent the design department at a leadership level, taking ownership of solving departmental problems and advocating for the department’s needs
- Supervise game designers; manage their career growth, handle conflicts, and hold regular high-quality 1on1s
- Mentor designers on interpersonal skills such as communication, conflict management, and leadership skills
- Facilitate designers’ craft growth through internal and external resources
- Foster a culture of ownership, trust, collaboration, and craft excellence
- Work with direction and team leadership to ensure design resources are allocated properly and designers are empowered to accomplish their work
- Drive hiring as a Hiring Manager, developing clear job listings and strong interview processes for hiring top talent
- As part of the leadership team, determine strategy, ensure a strong workplace culture, and bridge communication and alignment between leadership and individual contributors
- 8+ years game industry experience, 3+ years as a lead game designer or similar role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluent in verbal and written English
- Self-driven and highly motivated, able to drive impactful growth without supervision
- Skilled at navigating the gaps between individual goals, team goals, and department goals
- Able to work harmoniously with a diverse team and handle the tensions inherent in creative undertakings
- Passionate gamer that can empathize with our players and the needs of our product
- Shipped successful AA/AAA games or work on a live games-as-a-service product
- Strong understanding of modern software development processes
- Full-time and on-site
- Status: employment
- Start: as soon as possible
We support you all the way
Relocation bonus and ongoing support and assistance, occupational pension scheme
We care about your well-being
Flexible working hours, fresh fruit and vegetables every day, hot and cold beverages of your choice, in-house massage, fitness Club membership, monthly company events, Berlin public transportation Jobticket
We encourage continuous learning
Extensive games/books library, dedicated Talent Development Manager, participation at various game conferences
We know how to have fun
A variety of exciting Team Events, regular in-house social events, summer and Christmas Party, beer and soft drinks for Friday meetings
If this sounds exciting to you, and you love to work in a creative environment with people who are passionate about their work, we are looking forward to getting to know you!